Augeas - a configuration API
Augeas is a configuration editing tool. It parses configuration files in their native formats and transforms them into a tree. Configuration changes are made by manipulating this tree and saving it back into native config files.
- An API provided by a C library
- A command line tool to manipulate configuration from the shell (and shell scripts)
- Language bindings to do the same from your favorite scripting language
- Canonical tree representations of common configuration files
- A domain-specific language to describe configuration file formats
- Manipulate configuration files safely, safer than the ad-hoc techniques generally used with grep, sed, awk and similar mechanisms in scripting languages
- Provide a local configuration API for Linux
- Make it easy to integrate new config files into the Augeas tree
Take the introductory tour to explore the current implementation in more detail.